Thursday, October 28, 2010

So yeah, I'm finally a nurse

So, I've been a "nurse" since June when I passed the NCLEX, but this has been the first week where I take patients on my own and for the first time I really feel like a nurse. I'm off of orientation... for the most part. We are still limited to the number of patients we can take at any one time, but I am responsible for patients throughout my shift. Is that crazy or what? It absolutely blows my mind... I mean 3 years ago, I didn't even know what a nursing assessment is, but now people leave their lives in my hands.... Haha, not really. My patients are not critical patients by any sense of the words. But it still amazes me that I am often the one responsible for providing a good portion of my patients' care and education. Our patient population requires tons of education... Many are moms for the first time and many are recovering from surgery. What if I miss something? Do I even know enough myself to truly give my patients all the knowledge that they need to recover and take good care of themselves? I don't think that I am 100% competent by any means, but I am certainly getting there. I've never been so proud of what I have accomplished. No, I am not as good as the nurses that I work with everyday, but I'll eventually get there and no, I'm not as good as many other new grad nurses have been when they first come out of school, but we've all got to start somewhere. To think where I was two years ago when I first got started in nursing and realizing where I am at today... Wow is all that I can say... I'm loving my job, my patients, my co-workers... the whole shebang.

No comments:

Post a Comment